Monday, July 2, 2012

pray with me. please.

"no matter how wide you stretch your fingers, your hands will
always be too small to catch all the pain you want to heal."
- sarah kay, "if i should have a daughter"

over and over i'm reminded of how powerless i am across an ocean.

for months we were inseparable, wandering the hills of a near-abandoned town that previously thrived from its now-closed absestos mine. she taught me to quickly drink a can of coke after eating bad meat so the acid will hopefully kill any bacteria (i don't know if this actually worked). she built a fire to keep me warm when fever and chills left my teeth chattering and body shaking. she fed me swazi comfort food as i recovered from a crazy parasite (fyi - soured milked poured over maize meal is not a comfort if you are not swazi). she sat next to me during my first swazi funeral, translating all that was happening despite her own need to grieve. she dragged me over a mountain so we could play in a beautiful hidden waterfall. she brought me fresh donuts from the bread truck on my last morning in swaziland. 

now her places of need grow larger by the day:
...it's a bad headache. they say i am lacking blood...
...i'm losing my job, we are shutting down...
...i made it to the hospital in the capital but it was not easy to walk there. there is a blood clot in my leg. the doctors put me on a medicine called coumadin. i need a c.t. scan but it is very expensive. praise god it was not a stroke...
...the people of this town, they have no mercies for me. they want rent for the house while i have no work and am sick... 
...i trust god won't test me with something i cannot handle... 

my heart breaks over again with every message. i spread open my hands trying to catch her pain. i send out frantic emails until i find an expat who i can send money to that can get it to her. i cry out prayers and tears and beg for her to be healed. i message words of love and put airmail stamps on hallmark cards but her pain deepens.
and so...can you pray with me for zandi? for healing. for a job. for hope. for her amazing faith to continue to strengthen her. and as always, for hiv to end. soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment